Copyright © 2013 RMPA Colchester & East Anglia - All rights reserved

Home     Anniversary   Committee   Contact    Old Comrades  Events    Minutes    News   Memorial  Photographs     Forum  Links
Home  Anniversary Committee Contact Events Minutes News Memorial Old Comrades Photos Forum Links
Royal Military Police Badge RMPA Badge

Royal Military Police Association

Colchester & East Anglia Branch

Minutes from previous years can be viewed in the archives

Archives

Minutes for 2017

    Minutes of the of Colchester and East Anglia Branch RMPA

Thursday 6TH July 2017 at the Cpls Mess

156 Provost Company Goojerat Barracks Colchester

 

President: Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE             Chairman: Mr Allan Adam


 Hon Secretary:  Mrs Wendy Adam                    Treasurer: Mr Ray Hansen MBE


Vice Chairman: Mr Dave Howard                             Members in Attendance:  22

   Unit Members in Attendance: 18


Minute 1:   

            Apologies: Mr Ray Hansen, Mr Bill Pomery, Mr David Taylor, Mr Dan Cowley, Mr Terry Priest, Mr

                               Tony Anthony, Ms Pat Stark and Mr Dennis Rensch.


Welcome:  Mr Ernie Watson served from 1961 to 1976    

   

Minute 2: Thanks to the RSM for the two NCO’s LCpl Bartlett and LCpl Smithson for attending Mr  

Ray Osborne’s funeral. For future reference, if not many of the Branch members are able to attend, then we will contact the local British Legion for help.


Diary of Events:

The Chairman spoke to the Branch and unit members present about this year’s diary of events, which included a discussion on the following events:

a. Mr Terry Youngs has managed to obtain 40 tickets for the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance. However, he was only able to obtain circle seats. The cost to those attending will be £25 per person plus £15 coach travel.

b. The 16 Air Assault Brigade and Colchester Garrison Show on Saturday 15 July. Volunteers to help with running the stall. The gates open at 1100 hrs and Finale at 1600hrs. Parking in the Unit lines for volunteers only.

c. It has been proposed to hold a BBQ in August (date to be confirmed by the August meeting) in the Memorial Garden.  The Branch will pay for Branch member’s and their partners. Guest and Unit members will be asked to pay £5 per person.

d. Annual Dinner, Guest of Honour not confirmed yet. It will be same location, same menu

     as last year. Cost will remain at £25 per person. Menu choices will be sent out with the

     July minutes, please reply to the Chairman by the September meeting.

e. The secretary has provisionally booked a Boat trip on the river Deben from Waldringfield on 9th August. It will all depend on the numbers attending. Members wishing to attend should inform the Chairman or Secretary before Monday 24th July in order that the trip can be booked and confirmed for those attending


Minute 3: Treasurers Report: Read by the Chairman

Firstly, my apologies for absence this evening but it is that time of the year when Carol and I make our annual visit to Cornwall for our holiday.  

As is my usual practice, I have prepared a spreadsheet and provided our Chairman with a copy of this. He also has a copy of the spreadsheet showing the state of our account as at 29th June 2017. This spreadsheet shows that the balance of our account at that date as £1,489.12p.  However, the on-line banking facility shows our balance as £2,284.11p, a difference of £794.99p.  Over the past month, I have spent many hours examining our monthly bank statements to see if I can identify where this additional money has originated from, without success.


It is still my belief that (1) a member(s) have paid money into the account by bank transfer, without advising me of the amount and what the payment was for and (2) the bank made a duplicate entry when we closed our Charity Account and transferred the funds to our Treasurers Account.

In an attempt to resolve this matter could I ask all those members who have made bank transfers to the RMPA Account since1st October 2016 to provide me with a list of the dates and amounts transferred and what the money was for, i.e. Annual Dinner, Corton holiday etc.


Can I, at this point therefore again ask if you make an on-line transfer, which is extremely helpful to me, please send me an e-mail or telephone me too let me know how much you have paid in and what the payment is for.


 If  by the August meeting, I have still not identified the origins of this money I propose to just

 make an entry of the monthly spreadsheet “Adjustment – unidentified funds”.                


Minute 4:  Presidents Report:

Thanked all the members and guests who attended the Wattisham open day. A good day had by all. He also thanked those who attended for their kind charity donations.


            Minute 5: Unit Report

                             The RSM sends his apologies as he was currently at Southwick Park,

Maj Boyd is the new OC and he has had his feet firmly under the table for the past three      weeks unfortunately he was currently away from Colchester and sent his apologises.

The Unit Rep SSGT? (Apologies forgotten his name) stated that the Unit will soon be wearing the DZ flash once again whilst on parade. He also mentioned that the majority of the unit members attending the Branch meeting had just returned from exercise that afternoon.

Cpl Cochraine is on a PTI course, and some of the Unit are on Exercise Centurion,                              which is happening in Friday Woods and they deploy on Saturday.


Meeting closed at 2023 hrs


Any Other Business

1. Thank you to Cpl King and Mrs Yvonne Pye for making sandwiches Volunteers for next month’s meeting Cpl Magee and Mrs Karen Cameron


Next meeting will now be the 3rd August 2017


EXEMPLO DUCEMUS





    Minutes of the of Colchester and East Anglia Branch RMPA

Thursday 2nd June 2017 at the Cpls Mess

156 Provost Company Goojerat Barracks Colchester

 

President: Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE             Chairman: Mr Allan Adam


 Hon Secretary:  Mrs Wendy Adam                    Treasurer: Mr Ray Hansen MBE


Vice Chairman: Mr Dave Howard                             Members in Attendance:  26


Minute 1:   

            Apologies: Mr Robbie Silk, Mr David Taylor, Mr Tony Anthony Mr Iain and Karen Cameron,

                               Mr Dennis Rensch

         

 Minute 2: Diary of Events:

The Chairman spoke to the Branch and unit members present about this year’s diary of events, which included a discussion on the following events:

a. Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance tickets.

b. Tables and chairs for the CPL’s Mess arrived today curtesy of the President

c. The 16 Air Assault Brigade and Colchester Garrison Show on Saturday 15 July.

Volunteers to help with running the stall. Starts at 10am and Finale at 4pm.

Parking in the Unit lines for volunteers only.

d.   Newmarket Veterans day sponsored Poppy event Saturday 12th August VE Day Theme

      day costs around £20 - £22 depending on numbers attending. It is Fancy dress but it’s not  

      a requirement. Names and numbers by July meeting.

d. Hog/BBQ July or August

e. Annual Dinner, Guest of Honour not confirmed as yet. It will be same location, same menu as last year.

f. Boat trip possibly Norfolk Broads date to be confirmed in June or July

            

Minute 3: Treasurers Report:

                             If members make payment by bank transfer can you please send me an email with date and  

                             the amount and what the payment is for.

                                        Treasurers Account: £1439.12

 Minute 4: Unit Report

                 Wo1 RSM Ben Thompson briefed the Members about the Annual deployment exercise that

                 the unit was deployed on last month.

1. The troops from 156 Pro Coy gave a good account of themselves and were clearly the best Coy within the Regt. Special mention to Cpl Henry, who was awarded Top Soldier for the whole exercise.

2. Cpl Masterson and Cpl Garland returned from Ex Olive Grove in Jordan attached to the Para’s. They did an excellent job on the  deployment but clearly don’t know how to sun bathe properly as they came back lobster like and peeling.

3. LCpl  Hayes competed in an Athletics competition representing the AGC in the 800m track  event. He came second and is going forward for selection to represent the Army.

4. Three NCOs  from the unit will be flag bearers at the Champions League final which is being held at  the National Stadium in Cardiff.

5. Maj Mike Boyd the new Officer Commanding starts on Monday 5th June.

6. Also next week is the Cpls to Sgts promotion results, fingers crossed we have a few members of the Coy come off the board.



Minute 5: Mr Terry Priest thanked the branch for their donation for Janet’s Tower Jump total raised was

                 £700.



 

Meeting closed at 2025 hrs

Any Other Business


1. Thank you to Cpl Tommo Thompson and Mrs Carol Hansen for making sandwiches Volunteers for next months meeting Cpl King and Mrs Yvonne Pye.

2. Reminder that volunteers are required for the 15th July at the Colchester Garrison Show. Names please to the Chairman by next meeting

3. Due to the unit being deployed on exercise in July and the seniors attending meeting in Southwick Park there will be very few unit members at the July meeting.


I regret to inform you that an ex member of the Branch passed away on the 8th June 2017. Mr Ray Osbourne was a member for many years. Ray passed away peacefully in his sleep. Rays Funeral will be held at 1145 Hrs on the 30th June 2017 at the Ipswich Crematorium, 10 Cemetery Ln, Ipswich IP4 2TQ. Can we please have as many members there as possible. Ray was a great supporter of the Branch and it was only due to his age and being unable to drive that prevented him from attending the meetings.  Members who are able to attend please contact the Chairman asap. Members attending should be at the location by 1115 hrs.     



Next meeting will now be the 6th July 2017


EXEMPLO DUCEMUS





MINUTES OF THE OF COLCHESTER AND EAST ANGLIA BRANCH RMPA

HELD ON THURSDAY 3rd May 2016 AT THE

Cpl’s Mess

156 Pro Coy RMP

Goojerat Barracks

COLCHESTER

 

President: Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE Chairman: Mr Dave Howard

 Hon Secretary:   Treasurer: Mr Ray Hansen MBE


Members in Attendance:  30

Unit Members in Attendance: 19



Minute 1:                                                                                                                                   

Apologies: The Chairman received apologises from Mr Allan Adam, Mr Terry Priest, Mrs Wendy Adam, Mr Keith Goldsmith & Mrs Brenda Howard .

Welcomes:


Minute 2:

The Chairman spoke to the meeting on the following points:-

a. Guest Speaker Mr Brian Chenier on behalf of BLESMA.

b. Tables and Chairs for the Cpl’s Mess.

Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE stated that he would be able to source a number of tables                                and chairs from Wattisham and have them delivered to the Mess.


Minute 3:

The Treasurers report was read out by the Chairman including the present  balance of £2108.11p in the current account.


Minute 4:

Unit Report

WO1 RSM Terry Ferguson briefed the meeting on the points.

1. Dine out of  the OC Maj T Wilkes on Thursday 20 Apr 2017

2. 17 personnel deployed on multi activity at Capel Cuerig for 1 week.

3. 2 X JNCO’s deployed to Jordan on Ex Olive Grove

4. 4 x JNCO’s passed CP Course.

5. 1 x Offr, 1 x WO & 20 NCO’s assisted policing the A v N Rugby.

6. Rugby 7’s unit team won the plate having bee knocked out at the semi final stage. 4 RMP Female team with members of 156 Pro Coy RMP won the cup.

7. 5 X NCO’s entered the Army Powerlifting Competition, considering this was all new to them Cpl Kemp won his weight class with a single lift. LCpl King came second in his weight class for single lift and deadlift.

8. On Saturday 17 Personnel deploying on a 2 week Regimental Exercise.

9. Sgt Gwynne gave birth to a daughter Sophie Ann Weighing in at 9lb 14oz.

 



Minute 5:


Proposals from the floor.

1 Proposed by Brian Drake, Seconded By Dave Howard That £30 charity Donation go to Mrs Janet Priest who had abseiled down a Church Tower for Combat Stress. Carried.


Minute 6:


1. Reminder next month’s meeting on Thursday 1 June  in the Cpl’s Mess 156 Pro Coy RMP.

2. The unit would be running the July Branch Meeting.

3. Mrs Carole Hanson and LCpl  Andy Thompson Volunteered for Sandwiches.

.



Meeting closed 2018hrs


Any Other Business


1. Guest Speaker Mr Brian Chenier, from BLESMA

2. Raffle as usual.


EXEMPLO DUCEMUS





    Minutes of the of Colchester and East Anglia Branch RMPA

Thursday 6th April 2017 at the Cpls Mess

156 Provost Company Goojerat Barracks Colchester

 

President: Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE             Chairman: Mr Allan Adam


 Hon Secretary:  Mrs Wendy Adam                    Treasurer: Mr Ray Hansen MBE


Vice Chairman: Mr Dave Howard                             Members in Attendance:  42


Minute 1:   

Apologies: Mr Ray Hansen, Mr Terry Priest, Mr Mike Hewitt, Mr Dennis Rensch and Mrs Yvonne Pye

            Welcome: New RSM WO1 Terry Ferguson


Minute 2:

Briefing from Chairman including Letters

a. Proposed Changes to the Association Rules – Key posts for 2-3 yrs. However, the proposed rule changes will have no impact in the current Branch rules at this time, Business as usual. Chairman stated that he along with other members of the Branch will be attending the annual Association Dinner weekend in May, where they will also attend the AGM ,where the rules changes will be discussed and voted on and the Chairman will update the members at the June meeting


b. Gift from SSGT McCallum RMP from Kenya – Letter read out and gift displayed.


Minute 3:

Updates Chairman


a. Next months Guest Speaker Mr Brian Chenier on BLESMA


b. Chairman thanked everyone including unit members for their donations of Easter Eggs. After some discussion a proposal by Mrs Karen Cameron that the Easter eggs be donated to the Families of BLESMA


c. Visit to Wattisham Airfield 03 May Names ASAP from Branch members to the Chairman

                        The Treasurer to organise the coach Leaving Clacton at TBC and Unit Lines

                        Colchester TBC and return 2230 hrs

                 

Minute 4:

The Treasurer was unable to make the Meeting. The Chairman read the Treasurers statement

                        Treasurers Account:    £1258.00

                             Charity Account:    Closed

Minute 5:

The President spoke to the Branch and unit members present mentioned that the annual visit to Wattisham airbase on the 3rd May 2017. He also backed the Chairman with business as usual regarding the new Association rule changes


Minute 6:

Unit Report

WO2 CSM Peter Biggs informed the members that the Cpls Mess had been newly decorated. Some pictures donated for WO’s & SGT’s Mess. The Company also had a new modern gym installed in the old CPL’s Mess cookhouse and welcomed the Branch members to view the gym.

Chairman: Unfortunately there is a lack of furniture namely tables and chairs within the Cpls Mess and it was proposed by the Chairman that as it would be mainly the members using the tables and chairs for meetings that the Branch purchase four foldable tables at £65 each.


Proposed: Chairman             Seconded: Mr David Taylor           Branch Vote: carried


Update: President informed the Chairman that he might be able to obtain tables and chairs from Wattisham Base. He will update at the May meeting


Minute 7:

Mr Dave Howard proposed £30 donation to BLESMA as a thank you for Mr Brain Chenier’s talk at the May meeting


Minute 8:

Mr Bill Pomery informed the Branch that Mrs Margaret Falconer was currently in a hospital in Clacton and was being assessed as to what she could and could not do. It is likely that Margaret will remain there for some time. Any member wishing to visit Margaret should contact Bill or the chairman for details of where Margaret is.


Meeting closed at 2042hrs

Any Other Business


1. Thank you for the donations of Easter Eggs and Raffle Prizes.

2. Thank you to Karen and Iain Cameron and Brenda and Dave Howard for sandwiches and cakes. Volunteers for making sandwiches for next month’s meeting are Gill Drake and Joy Youngs

3. Members are reminded that the guest speaker for May Branch meeting is Mr Brian Chenier

4. The chairman has new lapel Pins at £3 each (£1 to be donated to the CBF)

5. The Chairman has Branch RMPA mugs for members who have paid their annual fees also has a number that can be sold for £5 each (£2 to be donated to the CBF)


Next meeting will now be the 4th May 2017


EXEMPLO DUCEMUS






    Minutes of the of Colchester and East Anglia Branch RMPA

Thursday 2nd February 2017 at the Cpls Mess

156 Provost Company Goojerat Barracks Colchester

 

President: Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE             Chairman: Mr Allan Adam


 Hon Secretary:  Mrs Wendy Adam                    Treasurer: Mr Ray Hansen MBE


Vice Chairman: Mr Dave Howard                             Members in Attendance:  60


Minute 1:   

Apologies: Mr Bill Pomery, Mr Peter Diplock, Mr Dennis Rensch and Mrs Yvonne Pye

            Welcome: Ms Pat Stark                                                                                                             

Minute 2: Diary of Events:

The Chairman spoke to the Branch and unit members present about this year’s diary of events, which included a discussion on the following events:

                  a.   Easter Egg Nominations – Easter Bonnet Parade – April

Easter Egg donations to Pensioners Homes with ex-Military connection.

                      b.   Guest Speakers - April Mr Brian Chenier on BLESMA & June Spec Ops organised by the

                            President or SIB.

                      c.   Visit to Wattisham Airfield 3rd May 2017- The coach will be leaving Clacton times TBC

                            and then pick up at the Unit Lines Colchester TBC and return 21.00 hrs.  

                      d.   Cheese and Wine – It was decided not to have the cheese and wine this year due mainly

                            to most members having to drive, the RSM proposed that the Unit host the evening

                            possibly a games night in June.

                      e.   The Branch Annual Dinner is on Saturday October 2017.  It was hoped that the Guest of   

                                    Honour this year would have been the PM Brig David Neal However he has informed the president    

                                   that he is unable to attend.

              The Chairman and President are now looking for another Guest to invite.

 Cost per person will be £25. Invites to extend to the OC, RSM and unit members.

f. RMP Field of Remembrance - At the Garden of Remembrance Westminster Abbey London at 12:00 and then onto the Royal Albert Hall Saturday 11/11/2017. The Chairman has volunteered to purchase all tickets at once so all seats can be together, preferably the stalls. He will need RBL Membership numbers to make purchase. The Treasurer will organise the coach      

Minute 3: The Chairman

                 a.    Replacement Welfare Officer The Chairman to contact John Graham.

b. Replacement for Web Master.

c. Recruitment for more members. Advertisement etc. Lt Col (Retd) Robbie Silk MBE to speak with Media Ops, The Secretary to organise advert on Suffolk Police Intranet site. The Chairman contact East Anglian Daily Times, Colchester Gazette, Clacton Gazette.

d. Charity Donations to stay at £30, Guest speakers £30.

e. Members signing into the Mess for Fire Regulations. The Chairman will print a copy of members names and the secretary will mark off members attending and give the list to the Cpl’s Mess Bar person for their records.


Minute 4: Treasurers Report:

The Treasurer spoke to all those present about the treasurer’s report and that the Charity Account was now closed. Any Charity donations will go from the Treasurers Account.  A full copy of the Treasurers report may be found attached to these Branch minutes.

                        Treasurers Account:    £912.32

                             Charity Account:    £692.02

Minute 5: Presidents Report

The President spoke to the Branch and unit members present and gave apologies that the PM is unable to attend the Annual Dinner  but hoped he would be able to attend the branch meeting in November which coincides with a visit to the unit. The president then mentioned that the annual visit to Wattisham airbase will be held on the 3rd May 2017.


Minute 6: Unit Report

Wo1 RSM Ben Thompson briefed the Members as to the future of RMP and in particular to 156 pro Coy RMP. He informed the Branch members that the unit would be moving into Merville Barracks within the next 5 years. Also the RMP Brigade was being restructured and 156 Pro Coy will come under 3 Regt RMP whose HQ would be in Bulford. The RSM went on to mention that the CPL’s Mess was due for renovation and that he was hoping that it would be ready for the March Meeting

 

Minute 7: Trips Out

a. Tower Of London Visit. Ceremony of the Keys, which is held at 21.30. Possibly Thursday with overnight stay at nearby hotel and organised trip to either Chelsea Pensioners or War Museum on Friday. Dates to be confirmed. The Chairman will speak with his contact and The Treasurer to contact hotels nearby for room availability and block booking and costing, also cost of the hire of the coach.

b. Overnight stay and visit to Arboretum. RMP and RMPA Parade on 03/06/2017. Usually hosted by Derby Branch. Possibly stay at Holiday inn, which is near to the Arboretum.

c. Sunday Lunch or BBQ / Hog Roast dates and costings to be confirmed.

d. Boat Trip possibly Norfolk Broads date to be confirmed in June or July. Possibly Lowestoft or Waldringfield. Ray to make contact for Prices and Times.

e. Corton Hall weekend September 8th /15th/22nd or 29th 2017

      The Chairman to contact Warners for prices of Group package  

f. Newmarket Races sponsored Poppy event Saturday 12th August VE Day Theme Day costs

      around £20 - £22 depending on numbers attending.

                  g.  Quiz Night 8th April 2017 in aid of BLESMA at St Giles Mason Hall 5 St John's Green,

                       Colchester CO2 7EZ


Meeting closed at 2025 hrs

Any Other Business

1. Volunteers for making sandwiches for next months meeting Karen Cameron and Dave Howard.

2. Members are reminded that the guest speaker for April Branch meeting is Mr Brian Chenier


Next meeting will now be the 6th April 2017


EXEMPLO DUCEMUS